Time for a National Conversation (4 posts)

|
  • Profile picture of drilnliftcrude drilnliftcrude said 1 year, 9 months ago:

“The founding fathers never envisioned the damage that could be done by a 24-hour news cycle. The media incentivizes killers by giving them attention, and they put innocent people in danger. Clearly, we cannot sit by and hope this situation will improve. How many more deaths will it take before someone does something?

I know what you’re thinking: Free societies are inherently messy. And what about the First Amendment?

I’m not suggesting we completely abolish the media. But perhaps we should curtail it. Isn’t it time for some common sense media control?”

http://theweek.com/bullpen/column/237905/the-media-should-be-ashamed-of-its-connecticut-coverage

More here for the slow boats:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/16/despite-1st-amendment-time-for-some-common-sense-media-control/

• Profile picture of Deleted User said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Boy, would the GOP just LOVE to shut off the well of knowledge so their proxies can preach their side of the gospel from the pulpits and podiums of NRA and KKK meetings.

• Profile picture of Deleted User said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Good topic drill. This is exactly why the libs are terrified of a Constitutioional Convention.

• Profile picture of milemarker milemarker said 1 year, 9 months ago:

It’s true. It was a colossal fail by the media across the board. I saw the conservative blogs doing some hammering over this mistaken identity problem. I just wonder how Fox will respond to it. The Week singles out some people but strangely gets amnesia over Breitbart’s expose’ of Shirley Sherrod and the widely distributed coverage how the Acorn Pimp edited the sound track of the secret films he made to make it sound like Acorn was violating election laws. Suffice to say that the whole bunch could use a nice hosing down. I doubt it will help in the age of epistemic closure where the right dismisses all the reporting that isn’t politically correct and approved and the left reciprocates in kind. There are lots of conservatives who despise the Daily Caller and will barely acknowledge their existence for doing exactly what this reporter complains about. So take it with a grain of salt. But he’s not wrong. He’s just not going to point the finger at his own paymaster who does the very thing he’s writing about.