This is what happens wnen we have armed citizenry (75 posts)

|
  • Profile picture of limalimamike limalimamike said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Someone tried to shoot up a restaurant and theater in San Antonio.

Thankfully, an off duty Sheriff’s officer, of course carrying a concealed weapon, takes the would-be mass murderer down, with one bullet, saving an untold amount of lives

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/man-attempts-to-open-fire-on-crowd-at-movie-theater-armed-off-duty-sheriffs-deputy-drops-him-with-one-bullet/

This is what happens when we have armed citizens in public.

• Profile picture of catpaw catpaw said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Point made, lima, but I remain not enthusiastic about a public running about armed a la Wyatt Earp. I suppose if I made an effort I could dig up examples of armed citizens not exercising prudence, but that’s not the point of this comment.
    I and my loved ones should not be targets of nut when we go to a shopping mall, a theater, a school campus, etc. That’s not an unreasonable expectation. Nuts having access to firearms, particularly military style weapons, is but part of the problem. As these lengthy discussions have pointed out, there is no one solution. I don’t doubt there is a copycat somewhere out there casing a public school, a movie theater, or some other public gathering.
    Awareness is a step in the right direction. Doing nothing because, gee, nuts are going to do what nuts do and we can’t prevent it, is a mentality that does nothing to keep us safe.

• Profile picture of drilnliftcrude drilnliftcrude said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Sorry catpaw, but thanks to ACLU inspired laws and court rulings, nuts have more right to be loose on the streets shooting kids or pushing people in front of subway trains than most of us have to be prepared to defend ourselves.

• Profile picture of John  Bravo John Bravo said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Who got rid of the insane asylums? Congress not withstanding.

• Profile picture of catpaw catpaw said 1 year, 8 months ago:

I’m not confident that the average citizen would have the same reaction in a crowd as an experienced, trained, veteran police officer as the link reports.
    As it is now, the problem is too many guns on our streets. Your solution is to put more guns on the streets. I know alot of gun advocates take exception to the logic, but face reality. Tombstone in the 1880′s is a thing of the past. We don’t need self-styled vigilantes running amok in public. Armed citizens anticipating a crazed murderer or sinister criminal are going to eventually find one. It might be in the form of a seedy-looking pan handler or a loud drunk, but by damn I’m a-gonna stand my ground and shoot somebody.

• Profile picture of milemarker milemarker said 1 year, 8 months ago:

So let’s put 50 armed citizens in a dark theater and find a madman to come in and start shooting. Any chance the people in there won’t know who the bad guy is when all the guns start shooting? What could go wrong?

• Profile picture of think4yourself think4yourself said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Lets keep this in proper perspective. This was an off duty police officer, not some random redneck with a rifle.

I can see the headline in a future where every citizen is armed. “Off Duty Police Officer Mistakenly Gunned Down By Armed Citizens While Confronting Robber.” How many soldiers were killed in “friendly fire” in Viet Nam and the Middle East? Oops! My bad. Sorry about that! I’ll just explain to your wife and three kids I thought you were shooting at an innocent person.

• Profile picture of think4yourself think4yourself said 1 year, 8 months ago:

The NRA has lost its mind! If you think the Zimmerman case is a three ring circus, lets arm every citizen in a crowded area with a gun and see what happens. Fart too loud and somebody dies! Our courts will be flooded with wrongful death lawsuites. I’m convinced there are some more moderate and reasonable heads that own guns. I’m equally convinced that the NRA is completely irrational. I’m concerned that the NRA will turn this into the next chapter of the civil war since the segregationists riots of the 1960′s. As was the argument in the 1960′s, times have changed and so do certain elements of our society.

• Profile picture of Groucho Groucho said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Here is a question that I have, and I’m not trying to start a fight: What is the rational for having assault style weapons such as the Bushmaster, and/or 30 round clips?

What is the rational for having assault style weapons such as the Bushmaster, and/or 30 round clips?

Probably the same one for owning a 450 horse power automobile – power. They are toys for grownups. They certainly aren’t tools. That’s the distinction Australia makes in gun ownership. You can’t get one unless you state a reason for having it. In other words, it’s not a toy for recreational use. It’s a tool. And, most importantly, self-defense is immediately rejected as a reasonable purpose for owning a gun.

I saw this idea today: We tax cigarettes and gasoline because of the harm they do to individuals and the environment. Why not a tax on BULLETS? Start at around $50.00 a bullet and lets see how many people simply must have one. Want a box of ‘em? Fork over $2500.00 for 50 and, Thank you for funding a security guard at every door at our schools so the teacher can teach and kids can learn.

for the record.
    I am all for people being able to have a CCWP, and allowing them to carry in public. Please remember, for those of you who don’t know, as it is evident in your posts that you have no clue about the rigors of getting a CCWP, to get a CCWP, you have to sit through training, pass a test, and qualify on a gun range, and must do so every 2-4 years, depending on the county in CA. IT is pretty stringent.

Stringent enough to be able to deal with the situation implied by milemarker above.

Mile marker and Groucho…please define what you call an “assault weapon”.

Milemarker.
    bullets cause 10% of the damage automobiles do, looking at deaths by devices. what would you say there? tax cars too? Besides, hundreds of abortions are performed on a daily basis across the country leading to a large body count, should we tax abortions too?

As far as the money for armed guards at our schools. did you know that just in the state of CA, on a yearly basis that the average cost of books lost that taxpayers bought is 30,000 dollars? that is per school site. Take into account that there are 10,221 public schools in the state.

Doing the math, that is almost 307 MILLION dollars. Enough to fund your idea of raising the cost of ammo to an absurd 2500 dollars for 20 rounds.

• Profile picture of Mach5 Mach5 said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Groucho, so, we take all the assault weapons away from the citizens, then just the criminals have them, unless you are saying they would gladly just turn theirs in, do you think that would happen?

First of MACH, let’s see what THEIR definition of an assault weapon is…….Then we can go in that direction, but let them answer first.