There is Balance in Talk Radio (10 posts)

|
  • Profile picture of Lamonster Lamonster said 2 years ago:

Even with the demise of Air America there is still a voice of reason and sanity to counter the Limbaughs of the world.

http://www.billoreilly.com/video?chartID=554&vid=352169405836061746

• Profile picture of Mach5 Mach5 said 2 years ago:

Why didn’t Air America last? was it their message?

He describes himself as a traditional liberal democrat. Unfortunately, he was recently dropped by KVOP in Portland, OR. I can’t imagine why. Portland is not exactly a bastion of conservatism.

• Profile picture of ApolloDawn ApolloDawn said 2 years ago:

I think it’s just the medium. AM radio is a very old medium with, as one might expect, a very unusual demographic.

Add to that the fact that AM talk radio has been so heavily right wing for more than 20 years, that most all of the remaining audience that even bothers to tune it in anymore isn’t looking for liberal commentary.

Liberal commentary also doesn’t take to radio very well. It does better in print because of the more complex, nuanced thought needed to appreciate it and carry it off. This is not to say that complex conservative thought doesn’t exist. However, it doesn’t take to radio well, either.

If you want complex, higher-level conservative thought, do what the left does; turn to print. National Review, Weekly Standard.

I agree with you that talk radio belongs to the right. National Review and American Spectator (and other exceptions) notwithstanding, the print media generally belongs to the left.

• Profile picture of think4yourself think4yourself said 2 years ago:

Anyone listen to NPR? I guess its the exception to the conservative talk radio argument.

• Profile picture of Mach5 Mach5 said 2 years ago:

Good point T4Y, the left has always had NPR and it’s still on the air, do THOSE liberal listeners have the complex, nuanced thought needed to appreciate it? I think NPR has more entertainment value than air america ever had, you cant get enough people to tune in everyday just to hear people say they hate Bush, it gets boring

Even if a small part of it’s budget is tax dollars, NPR is more entertainment than opinion oriented.

• Profile picture of think4yourself think4yourself said 2 years ago:

I love classical music and, as a consequence of being too lazy to switch the dial. As a result, I get bombarded with thei viewpoint. The think that’s irked me is their indifferent treatment of the Gaza Conflict. They’re indifference towards Israel shouldn’t surprise anyone. Forget that even our own GOVERNMENT has labeled Hamas a terrorist organization, Israel has no rights to defend their own borders and should sit down and ‘talk things over’ with the Muslim Brotherhood who have sworn to ‘no peace, no deal’ with Israel since 1949.

• Profile picture of Deleted User said 2 years ago:

I quit listening to right wing talk radio years ago. Even a hard core fiscal con like me can only take so much. Good music is so much more soothing. Specially if you’re fighting traffic.