Senate Republicans Show Their Small Side (22 posts)

|
  • Profile picture of Groucho Groucho said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Yesterday I watched the confirmation hearings for Chuck Hagel. I believe in the part of the Constitution that states ‘the Senate shall advise and consent’ on Presidential cabinet appointees, it is part of our check and balance system. The behavior of most Republicans yesterday was a joke and an insult to the Senate, the Constitution, and the nation. First, the ranking Republican, Inhoff of Oklahoma, said Hagel wasn’t fit for the job. So much for an un-biased view. Then John McCain, a sad, senile, bitter loser, demanded that Hagel defend his position on the Iraqi War Surge. If memory serves, the surge (not the overwhelming success that McCain advocates) occurred some time back. Then various Senators railed at Hagel about past remarks and his views on foreign policy. I don’t believe the country cares what someone said 10 years ago, and the last time I checked the Sec. of State was involved in foreign policy, not Sec. of Defense. Hagel could have done better and should not have been surprised at the vitriol, but the country was ill served by the GOP senators.

• Profile picture of think4yourself think4yourself said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Both sides have given presidential appointies grief during the confirmation process. Its a symptom of what this country has become. Fixing the country has become secondary to flexing political muscle. But, I see your point Groucho. Democrats did the same to John Aschcroft (over his personal faith) during his confirmation hearings despite his professional credentials.

I concede that Hagel is qualified for the position in which he is being appointed. However, I WOULD have deep concern if he was up for Secretary of State-even based on comments he made 10 years ago. His record reflects a willingness to negotiate with known terrorist groups, while refusing to recognize Israel’s right to defend itself. He would have us alligning with the likes of Muslim Brotherhood leaders such as Morsi in Egypt and his holocaust denying regime. I find that unacceptable.

The point is Think, he is NOT up for State. And would someone please tell me when Israel got to be such an untouchable? They have plenty of warts and somebody needs to have the guts to say so.

“And would someone please tell me when Israel got to be such an untouchable? They have plenty of warts and somebody needs to have the guts to say so”

I could address that topic, but it would be WAY off topic and, as you said, he’s not up for Secy’ of State, so his foreign policy views are irrelevant. What IS relevant is that he can bring a much needed ‘no nonsense’ approach to the Defense Department and there is no need for GOP Grandstanding. I AM surprised however that the majority of the resistance is coming from the GOP and not the Dems who are heavily supported by the Jewish Lobby.

My theory is that the GOP senators (and I am sure some Dems) are in the pocket of the military industrial complex and they see Hagel as a cost and waste cutter. He is already on record favoring cutbacks in weapons system, nuclear subs, some warships and the B52s. That would put a huge crimp in some pocketbooks and they are going to protect their turf. The only reasonable question I heard asked was about rape in the military. Not a word was said about the drone program.

Valid point, Groucho. The ‘military industrial complex’ issue is a sensitive one though. It employs-for better or for worse-hundreds of thousands of people at multiple levels. There is no stuffing Jack back in the Box. Eisenhower warned America this would happen. The reality is that such a large chunk of our economy is intertwined into defense spending. Where Hagel sees ‘waste’, many in these GOP districts see ‘jobs’. What I find hypocritical is that military and aerospace spending that provide hundreds of thousands of jobs on the tax payer dime are GOP sacred cows, but somehow infrastructure, clean energy, and transportation (such as Amtrak and HSR) that enlist the same skills and high paying jobs and advance the private sector and even encourage private sector investment are ‘wasteful spending’. And vice versa. Democrats wish to spend billions on these public works projects, but balk at defense spending. There are major logical inconsistancies when it comes to spending priorities in BOTH parties that paint them as hypocrits with fiscal double standards.

In a perfect world, there would alternate uses for the factories making military products, swords into plowshares, but that is a dream. Hopefully Hagel will go after waste first and get rid of some of the security contractors.

A perfect example of where defense engineering easily translates into domestic goods is aerospace technology. Look at Boeing.

• Profile picture of catpaw catpaw said 1 year, 2 months ago:

I didn’t watch the whole confirmation hearing. What I did see surprised me. Makes me wonder if Republicans haven’t let go of this “bring Obama down” mentality.

Cat-they haven’t. That’s the problem.

• Profile picture of John  Bravo John Bravo said 1 year, 2 months ago:

“The president asked me to come see him and we had a long conversation one night, just the two of us,” Hagel said. “It was over an hour. We talked about the job, the world, security, the future, and within the context of that conversation we got down into what about this job? I didn’t try to sell him on the job that I could do it. In fact, when he asked me about why am I qualified or why would I be uniquely qualified, I said I’m not.”

So by his own admission, Hagel admits he is not qualified for the job. He further went on to prove his lack of qualification during the hearings. And somehow this is the Republicans fault. Yup, just business as usual in the Obama Administration.

Not qualified or not uniquely qualified?
    If not Hagel then who? Sarah Palin? John McCain? Ron Paul?

• Profile picture of John  Bravo John Bravo said 1 year, 2 months ago:

“Not qualified or not uniquely qualified?”
    Well he said both. It would be nice if the President spent more time vetting his Defense Secretary than he does making his March Madness picks. I mean really. If you are looking for someone to hold an important job and he says he is not qualified, or at least uniquely qualified, then maybe its time to look around for another candidate. Especially if the moron you have selected knows nothing about the upcoming Sequestration. You would think the guy would at least prepare for the interview with the President, as well as prepare for the hearings.
    But then again, with this President, it is always the Republicans fault.

Just seems contradictory. As I understand “unique” it applies to something one of a kind, something that stands alone.
    I’m qualified to tell you what the weather will be tomorrow because I watched the local news. That hardly makes me uniquely qualified because lots of people watch the evening news.
    That’s the context I assumed of Hagel’s comment.
    But I do oftentimes hear “unique” used to mean “unusual.” I have an in-law who likes to show off his mastery of English by using “very unique” all the time. The cat can comprehend my explanation; my in-law unfortunately is not as intellectually endowed.
    Would have been nice if Hagel had explained just what makes him qualified but not uniquely qualified.

• Profile picture of drilnliftcrude drilnliftcrude said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Kinda like the John Tower nomination hearings except Hagle displayed an amazing ignorance of the administrations policies that he is supposed to support. He had to be corrected twice on what the administration policy towards Iran is. Hagel makes Biden look like a Mensa member.