Obamacare to cost Domino’s Pizza $5k per store for nutritional information. (12 posts)

|
  • Profile picture of limalimamike limalimamike said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Say goodbye to any medium pizza for $9.99.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/dominos-obamacare-requires-34-million-pizza-nutrition-signs-in-stores/article/2514679#.ULi8vYZfehd

No wonder Nancy Pelosi was SOOOOOO secretive as to what was in the bill.

This alleged “affordable” health care isn’t looking so affordable.

Personally, since Obamacare passed, my health care costs have almost tripled.

• Profile picture of Geoffrey Thorpe Geoffrey Thorpe said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Oh, for pete’s sake. I go into Panera and they’ve got a sign up for each bread/muffin/bagel they sell, plus all the entrees. No big deal. McDonald’s has signs up with calories, etc., on each item. This isn’t a big deal…except for those who want to make it so. Think of all the jobs created in analyzing the so-called food at Domino’s, and all the printing and sign installing jobs. I thought we were all about job creation. And don’t all the Domino’s in California already have to post the nutrition info? I haven’t seen a single Domino’s close because of that requirement.

God forbid anybody actually might have the information to make smart choices about the junk corporate America puts out that it refers to as food…for the same reason, I really can’t lament the closing of Hostess. Twinkies? Really? People eat that stuff? Yuck.

• Profile picture of Geoffrey Thorpe Geoffrey Thorpe said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Plus, there’s this: Domino’s already has the info…

https://order.dominos.com/en/pages/content/nutritional/nutrition.jsp

So, put in a kiosk/tablet where you can figure it out yourself. Sheesh.

If you would have read the article, you would have noticed that a sign for every possible combination with nutritional information is to be available at EVERY store.

For a pizza place with tens of thousands of stores in the US, with 20 toppings, would be 20 factorial.
    For Panera, it’s easy, because their stuff comes basically pre-made. without any room for different combinations.

your solution is to put a tablet?

well, that’s 300 dollars per store, at 10k stores, that is still a 3 million dollar bill that will get passed along to consumers.
    as I said, say goodbye to 9.99 med pizzas

Yes, I did read the story and the spokeswoman is full of…something…pizza, maybe. The legislation doesn’t require a sign for each type of pizza, and her price quote of $4,700 per store for a sign? Jeebus. I want to make signs for Domino’s pizza in that case. Somehow I doubt it will cost $470 per store.

Here’s the legislation…note paragraph V; the emphasis is mine:

‘‘(H) RESTAURANTS, RETAIL FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS, AND VENDING MACHINES.—

‘‘(i) GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RESTAURANTS AND SIMILAR RETAIL FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS.—Except for food described in subclause (vii), in the case of food that is a standard menu item that is offered for sale in a restaurant or similar retail food establishment that is part of a chain with 20 or more locations doing business under the same name (regardless of the type of ownership of the locations) and offering for sale substantially the same menu items, the restaurant or similar retail food establishment shall disclose the information described in subclauses (ii) and (iii).

‘‘(ii) INFORMATION REQUIRED TO BE DISCLOSED BY RESTAURANTS AND RETAIL FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS.—Except as provided in subclause (vii), the restaurant or similar retail food establishment shall disclose in a clear and conspicuous manner—

‘‘(I)(aa) in a nutrient content disclosure statement adjacent to the name of the standard menu item, so as to be clearly associated with the standard menu item, on the menu listing the item for sale, the number of calories contained in the standard menu item, as usually prepared and offered for sale; and

‘‘(bb) a succinct statement concerning suggested daily caloric intake, as specified by the Secretary by regulation and posted prominently on the menu and designed to enable the public to understand, in the context of a total daily diet, the significance of the caloric information that is provided on the menu;

‘‘(II)(aa) in a nutrient content disclosure statement adjacent to the name of the standard menu item, so as to be clearly associated with the standard menu item, on the menu board, including a drive-through menu board, the number of calories contained in the standard menu item, as usually prepared and offered for sale; and

‘‘(bb) a succinct statement concerning suggested daily caloric intake, as specified by the Secretary by regulation and posted prominently on the menu board, designed to enable the public to understand, in the context of a total daily diet, the significance of the nutrition information that is provided on the menu board;
‘‘(III) in a written form, available on the premises of the restaurant or similar retail establishment and to the consumer upon request, the nutrition information required under clauses (C) and (D) of subparagraph (1); and

‘‘(IV) on the menu or menu board, a prominent, clear, and conspicuous statement regarding the availability of the information described in item (III).

‘‘(iii) SELF-SERVICE FOOD AND FOOD ON DISPLAY.—Except as provided in subclause (vii), in the case of food sold at a salad bar, buffet line, cafeteria line, or similar self-service facility, and for self-service beverages or food that is on display and that is visible to customers, a restaurant or similar retail food establishment shall place adjacent to each food offered a sign that lists calories per displayed food item or per serving.

‘‘(iv) REASONABLE BASIS.—For the purposes of this clause, a restaurant or similar retail food establishment shall have a reasonable basis for its nutrient content disclosures, including nutrient databases, cookbooks, laboratory analyses, and other reasonable means, as described in section 101.10 of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations (or any successor regulation) or in a related guidance of the Food and Drug Administration.

‘‘(v) MENU VARIABILITY AND COMBINATION MEALS.—The Secretary shall establish by regulation standards for determining and disclosing the nutrient content for standard menu items that come in different flavors, varieties, or combinations, but which are listed as a single menu item, such as soft drinks, ice cream, pizza, doughnuts, or children’s combination meals, through means determined by the Secretary, including ranges, averages, or other methods.

So, the Secretary can offer regulations that will keep Domino’s from spending $4,700 per store. Which they wouldn’t anyway.

In the last 2 years, the Secretary has failed to release said regulations..

Besides, when can you recollect ANYTIME when regulations mean you pay LESS?

• Profile picture of ApolloDawn ApolloDawn said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Credit card reform. Rent control. Usury laws.

That’s just off the top of my head.

The Public Utilities Commission, back in the days when they were less in the pockets of big energy.

All private insurance has increased within the last three years, I’m sure your medicare hasn’t

• Profile picture of ApolloDawn ApolloDawn said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Don’t I know it. I even agree that “Obamacare” is a dreadful solution that, through its insurance mandate, exhibits the in-your-eye, almost mocking offensiveness that one would expect of the right-wing crafted “solution” to health coverage that it, in fact, is.

“So, you want everyone to have health care? OK, we’ll force you by law to buy insurance from our henchmen boys, the private health care industry. Now everyone’s covered.” I distinctly remember, when George W. Bush was still president, that an insurance mandate was Ronmexico’s characteristically flip “solution” to universal health coverage.

Yes; “Obamacare” has Republican written all over it.

I just giggle with barely concealable derision at the inference that all health care wrongs since 2009 are due to the “Obama” in “Obamacare.”

Seriously, why would a strong Democrat or liberal support Obamacare?

If it is a tax, as it is often argued (and seen as such by Chief Justice Roberts), it is a shockingly regressive tax. With a few exceptions, it taxes a working poor person the same dollar amount that it taxes Mitt Romney.

Liberals have always been against regressive taxation. It pains me to see present-day Democrats become so desperate as to embrace Obamacare and, in so doing, vigorously defend perhaps the most regressive tax in existence.

• Profile picture of milemarker milemarker said 1 year, 11 months ago:

A few months ago Domino’s pizza was running an ad campaign in which they were giving away 1 million pizzas. One has to take pause with this information and wonder if Domino’s can give away 1 million pizzas, why can’t they afford to update their nutritional information. I think that’s a valid question. I imagine that advertisement, alone, cost them a bundle. I think this is where John Bravo pipes in with the claim that the First Lady mysteriously forced legislation through the Senate and House of Representatives and then got the president to sign a bill forcing everyone to provide nutritional information in association with her campaign to get children to eat nutritious meals.

• Profile picture of drilnliftcrude drilnliftcrude said 1 year, 11 months ago:

No, this is where I pipe in and correct you in that Dominos can only afford to offer a half million slices, not a million whole pizzas.

http://foodbeast.com/content/2012/10/22/dominos-pizza-to-give-away-half-a-million-free-pizza-slices/

It is Papa Johns that has a contest which offers 2 million pizzas.

http://order.papajohns.com/index.html?dclid=%25n-2543611-4121096-72104708-246871266-0&esvt=332865-GOUSB336925594&esvq=pappa%20johns%20pizza&esvadt=999999-0-3864914-1&esvcrea=16161165865&esvplace&esvaid=30536&gclid=CIzQ86TA-rMCFcN_QgodvVEAZQ

Perhaps businesses should be the ones to take pause before offering a program to help their business while giving people an opportunity to get something free because there is always someone out there that is so “misinformed” that they would assume that the promotion is proof that the business is rich and wealthy enough to pay for huge new government take away programs. I guess any business that can afford a sale should probably be paying higher taxes, with that line of thinking (or attempt at thinking).

• Profile picture of John  Bravo John Bravo said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Companies don’t pay for increased corporate taxes, Obamacare, and regulations.

Consumers do. Enjoy.