Obama violates the Constitution (12 posts)

|
  • Profile picture of John  Bravo John Bravo said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I know, Shocker.
    But you would think a “Constitutional Scholar” would have a better grasp of the Constitution.
    He seems to think that congress taking a potty break gives him the right to recess appointments.
    Maroon.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20130126/DA41HUAO0.html

• Profile picture of limalimamike limalimamike said 1 year, 7 months ago:

He knows EXACTLY what he is doing, just like Hitler and Stalin.

• Profile picture of allRED allRED said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Bush did it but it was legal. This non citizen fake Pres thinks if that white man can why can’t I, ME, the annointed one.

• Profile picture of drilnliftcrude drilnliftcrude said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Obviously the D.C. Court of Appeals is racist.

Bush made recess appointments when Congress was actually on recess. Perfectly legal.

Obama tried to do it while congress was out to lunch. Not legal. ANd he calls himself a constitutional scholar.

• Profile picture of catpaw catpaw said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Just about anything is perfectly legal until a law or court ruling says it isn’t.

“Under the court’s decision, 285 recess appointments made by presidents between 1867 and 2004 would be invalid.”

I’m not a lawyer so maybe someone can help me out. The linked article doesn’t mention “ex post facto” (after the fact). Wouldn’t that apply to the Supreme’s ruling regarding past appointments? How do you invalidate an appointment made over a hundred years ago?

• Profile picture of Deleted User said 1 year, 7 months ago:

“Under the court’s decision, 285 recess appointments made by presidents between 1867 and 2004 would be invalid.”

Were they challanged ? And, the court said that this finding applied only to this one incident.

• Profile picture of Groucho Groucho said 1 year, 7 months ago:

The way I understand it was that Congress gets around the “recess” thing by keeping one member in town who bangs the gavel to open and then to close the next minute (a maneuver that was introduced by the clever Democrats during Bush II). POTUS said this was still a recess and made the appointments. Court says it is not a recess and threw out appointment. Now SCOTUS will decide. Such BS by our elected officials.

• Profile picture of milemarker milemarker said 1 year, 7 months ago:

It’s not as if there wasn’t any history of lawmakers violating the constitution by passing laws. Roe vs. Wade, Loving vs. Virginia, Lawrence vs. Texas come to mind. Let us just say that the many lawyers who make up our congress are often well-aware that a law they pass will not meet constitutional muster – but that never stops them from passing the law. They pass the law and then simply let the court rule on the constitutionality. We saw in the past election cycle where several state sought to change voting laws. Virginia is in the middle of a bizarre initiative to reapportion electoral votes that would disenfranchise voters and set a precedent for other states that would make a mockery of the electoral college. Is that “constitutional”? Legal scholars say it probably isn’t, but Virginia says, “We’ll let the courts decided”. Even with gun control, the rule of law will ultimately decide whether guns can regulated (rather than mob violence), but that will not stop lawmakers on both the state and federal level from passing regulatory initiatives in the mean time. So, if Obama did violate the constitution, it’s something that has been done a thousand times over at every level from the hamlets run by city governments to the highest office in the land. Who knows what the judgement of the US Supreme Court would be on Obama’s action. All we do know is, SCOTUS will ultimately decide, not a federal district court, the constitutionality of the President’s action. The Defense of Marriage Act was deemed unconstitutional by Republican lawmakers who voted for it yet that didn’t stop them from trying to pass it. DOMA has now been declared unconstitutional by three federal courts of appeal but it just got a date with the US Supremes. It’s a pattern as well as a political strategy. Republican are simply shocked that the President used something from their playbook.

“Republican are simply shocked that the President used something from their playbook.”

Repubs never made recess appointments while Congress was still in session. Thanks for playing.

• Profile picture of Deleted User said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Just read the court finding. obie didn’t just get his hands slapped. They bitch slapped him across the mouth. Obie thinks he’s king and can do anything he pleases. The district court spelled it out so well I seriuosly doubt the SC will take it up.

• Profile picture of milemarker milemarker said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Repubs never made recess appointments while Congress was still in session. Thanks for playing.

Um, the topic of the thread appears to be about violating the constitution of which this recess appointment is but one example.