Is the President a Cornball Brother? (20 posts)

|
  • Profile picture of John  Bravo John Bravo said 1 year, 8 months ago:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/12/13/espns-parker-rgiii-is-a-cornball-brother-due-to-white-fiancee-possible-republican-leanings/

Apparently RGIII is because he has a white fiance and is a “gasp” a Republican.
    I wonder how long Rob Parker will have a job?

• Profile picture of catpaw catpaw said 1 year, 8 months ago:

“For me, you don’t ever want to be defined by the color of your skin,” Griffin told reporters on Wednesday. “You want to be defined by your work ethic, the person that you are, your character, your personality. That’s what I’ve tried to go out and do.
    “I am an African-American in America. That will never change. But I don’t have to be defined by that.”

That statement should question his ethnicity? Anymore, broadcast journalists and commentators must be having a contest to see which one can be the dumbest.

• Profile picture of Groucho Groucho said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Apparently, anyone, black or white can be an idiot racist.

• Profile picture of Lamonster Lamonster said 1 year, 8 months ago:

I’m puzzled that Parker thinks RGIII leans Republican because he espouses what MLK Jr. preached.

• Profile picture of milemarker milemarker said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Isn’t this social commentary the reason cited for Rush Limbaugh’s firing by Monday Night Football? It sounds like the liberal version of epistemic closure – that so perfectly mirrors the right these days: Something like, “you aren’t (black – conservative – brown, pick one) **ENOUGH** to be a TRUE (African American – Republican – Hispanic, Pick one)”. These idiots should look in the mirror once in a while

• Profile picture of limalimamike limalimamike said 1 year, 8 months ago:

lamonster
    Are you saying one couldn’t espouse equality, and be conservative at the same time?

• Profile picture of Lamonster Lamonster said 1 year, 8 months ago:

No, Mike. I’m saying that I’m wondering why a racist like Parker would think that judging by character and not by color of skin would be the Republican ideal, who would no doubt be the racists in his eyes.

• Profile picture of think4yourself think4yourself said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Wow! I often wonder if the unfortunate unintended consequence of November 2008 was that race relations have gotten WORSE not BETTER. Since Obama took office, we have become MORE polarized and MORE racially defensive. Lets put policy and politics aside just for a moment and look at this from a socio-historical standpoint. Whether you like the guy or not, having the first non caucasian president IS historically significant and socially an advancement for black americans. It seems as though any major social change in America-especially social changes related to race-has come with it a significant amount of upheaval. We should have seen this coming in 2008. The election of a Black American would not initially have us all holding hands and singing kumbaya. America, at least in the interim, would be in stressed in the same way the South was in the 1960′s during integration. Major social change has a way of, at least in the short term, polarizing us. It becomes us versus them. I don’t believe you have to be a racist to sense and recognize that America is racially stressed. People like RG III are called on to ‘take sides’ or be ostracized. This will continue, I’m afraid, for some time and especially if the media continues to overplay the racial ‘strife’. ESPN now finds itself in a sticky situation; do nothing and you’re a racist or fire him and you’re a racist.

T4Y, you make some good points, and I agree, race relations are more strained now (or at least out in the open) that we have a black President. But it had to start sometime, and as painful as it is, it will get better.

Looks like you are right, John B.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-espn-has-reportedly-suspended-rob-parker-20121214,0,596484.story

• Profile picture of ApolloDawn ApolloDawn said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Milemarker, just FYI:

It was Hank WIlliams Jr., not Rush Limbaugh, who was fired by ESPN.

• Profile picture of think4yourself think4yourself said 1 year, 8 months ago:

AD-Limbaugh was fired back in 2003 as well for making a statement about Donovan McNabb and black quarterbacks in the NFL. Both incidents support the argument that while you are free from government prohibition from flapping your jaws, companies are just as free to fire you if your mouth tarnishes the image of their company.

AD, I think Rush was on MNF a long time ago and said Donaven McNabb was only playing QB because he was black or some such nonsense. I found it interesting at the time that none of the “sports experts” on the panel challenged the fat one.

• Profile picture of ApolloDawn ApolloDawn said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks; I stand edified.

• Profile picture of milemarker milemarker said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Rush “resigned” from MNF following the McNabb incident.