CA state teachers’ pension fund votes to divest itself of firearm/ammo investments (16 posts)

|
  • Profile picture of Geoffrey Thorpe Geoffrey Thorpe said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Well, this will break LLM’s heart. Guess nearly all of them aren’t in favor of arming themselves in the classroom.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-pension-votes-firearms-divestment-20130109,0,4942689.story

• Profile picture of think4yourself think4yourself said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Did you read the entire article or just the headline, Geoff. A board in Sacramento barely is representative of ‘nearly all’ teachers. While I don’t agree with arming teachers, trying to point this out as some ‘mandate’ of nearly all the teachers is a bit of a stretch.

• Profile picture of limalimamike limalimamike said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Of course not GT.. most of my compadres swing your direction, politically.

Typical “stupid” (your term} financial move by liberals. The gun market in the US is ON FIRE…and it won’t slow down any time soon

From a financial perspective, it’s a solid short term lock

I’m sure you question Obama’s biggest donor regarding his morals too?

• Profile picture of Geoffrey Thorpe Geoffrey Thorpe said 1 year, 11 months ago:

I thought we settled that, LLM: the biggest donor to Mr. Obama’s re-election campaign was from the University of California educators. So you’re questioning their morals?

I was being sarcastic LLM. I wouldn’t call the financial move stupid, either. More like one of standing on principle, and maybe they simply don’t want to finance something they disagree with.

Ironically, of course, selling shares at this point will probably result in a pile of money.

From a financial perspective, then, what we need is a few random mass murderers periodically to drive up the stock? Yeesh. I’m reminded of the great scene in Steinbeck’s ‘East of Eden,’ when the father, who served on the draft board and had to send young men to die in WWI, is horrified by the gift his son tries to bestow upon him…serious money, made by capitalizing on bean futures in anticipation of the war.

GT said More like one of standing on principle, and maybe they simply don’t want to finance something they disagree with.

Please, now you point at principles? Obama’s biggest donor, George Soros, has billions of his own money riding on the collapse of the US economy, and you voted for him.

Lets talk more about principles.

LLM: you keep making that claim about Soros, two claims, actually, that he is Obama’s biggest donor (false, as demonstrated several times), and that he has billions of his own money ‘riding on the collapse of the US economy’.

Sigh.

In the first place, that is an absolutely stupid financial bet. Who would pay off on it? Second, the economy is growing, not collapsing. Third, the biggest single threat facing the US economy is the GOP representatives elected to primarily the House and some in the Senate, who are endangering the economy more and more with intransigence and as much understanding of economics as they have of global warming and evolution (which is to say, worse than none). It’s like Alice in Wonderland…everything is absolutely backwards.

Fourth, you offer absolutely no proof of Soros’ so-called position. He’s been buying stocks, not selling. Because he made money once from looking at the data and figuring the British currency was going to devalue, he made an investment that benefitted him personally, he’s evil in your eyes?

Try directing some of your vituperation towards most of the rest of the folks on Wall Street, who have been the primary source of danger to our economy and impediments to its recovery.

It’s not up to me to educate you, you need to educate yourself regarding who you vote for. Do your own homework.

Start with

the man who broke the bank of England.

Again, you are one of the worst citizens in the country, IF you go to the polls as uniformed as you made yourself out to be.

I have done my own homework and I have concluded your charges against Soros are ridiculously wrong. If anyone is uninformed here, it’s not me…or perhaps the better term is ‘misinformed.’ I pity you for having to have a boogie man to always worry about. It’s sad, really.

• Profile picture of Lamonster Lamonster said 1 year, 11 months ago:

I have heard Soros blamed and defended by various economists, but this guy is not what I would call a right-wing extremist:

Economist Paul Krugman is critical of Soros’ effect on financial markets.
    “[N]obody who has read a business magazine in the last few years can be unaware that these days there really are investors who not only move money in anticipation of a currency crisis, but actually do their best to trigger that crisis for fun and profit. These new actors on the scene do not yet have a standard name; my proposed term is ‘Soroi’.”[33]

GT said
    “I pity you for having to have a boogie man to always worry about. It’s sad, really.”

Because being a clueless twit has so many benefits, errrrr repercussions,personally and socially.

Seems to work for you though, doesn’t it?

• Profile picture of think4yourself think4yourself said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Now, children………..

• Profile picture of Lamonster Lamonster said 1 year, 11 months ago:

At first I was concerned over the loss of income the teachers’ retirement system would suffer from divesting a proven money-maker stock. But then I remembered reading that much of the money from Prop 30 that was promised to improving funding for education was going to be used to bail out the underfunded CalSTRS. Sorry kids, we still don’t have enough books to go around, but look how much happier your teacher is. Maybe the 2014 ballot will have enough tax increases that you’ll get yours. Remember the favorite chant of Chicago Cubs fans, “Wait till next year!”

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/California_Proposition_30,_Sales_and_Income_Tax_Increase_(2012)

• Profile picture of CalifornDrifter CalifornDrifter said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Just thought I’d drop in and see if things have changed any but, I clearly see it hasn’t, I’ll go back to the side lines but then again, I’m sure no one misses me. ;=)))