Black Eye Friday (11 posts)

|
  • Profile picture of John  Bravo John Bravo said 1 year, 9 months ago:

http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=10591459

In my opinion, just a preview of things to come. It has been a long, long steady process to get to this point. Unfortunately, I think we are too far gone to correct course.

• Profile picture of catpaw catpaw said 1 year, 9 months ago:

And to think that FDR’s attempt to declare Thanksgiving a week earlier to extend the holiday shopping season was so unpopular he had to retract it.
    Are we really so obsessed with “stuff” that crowds will camp out at the door to insure a place in line? The stampede and desperate physical jostling to grab a phone, a t.v., an electronic toy is a sad picture of us as a society and a dehumanizing, base image that reflects poorly of both the store and its customers.
    I hope people eventually realize the “black Friday” mayhem as the crass behavior it is.

• Profile picture of Lamonster Lamonster said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Well said, catpaw. At least I haven’t heard yet of any trampling deaths this year.

• Profile picture of catpaw catpaw said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Well, monster, as you probably know, I’ve undergone two life-or-death intensive operations. If not for them, I’d have been worm food for over a year now.
    Instead, I got to see my loved ones with their lives intact and secure; got to keep in touch with friends; still got a roof over my head — Take my word, phones and TVs don’t compare with what a blessing is.

• Profile picture of limalimamike limalimamike said 1 year, 9 months ago:

“yeah, I’ve got nothing better to do.”

http://youtu.be/8O6IMYSSs7c

what a shame.

You are right, cat, life and family over stuff. I’m sure that, to some of the “shoppers” in Mike’s video, that toy they give the kids on Christmas is that much more precious if they can include a snapshot of themselves shoving some old lady to the floor in pursuit of the Spirit of Christmas. “God bless us everyone.”

• Profile picture of ApolloDawn ApolloDawn said 1 year, 9 months ago:

There’s a lot to be said about this subject.

Check this out; browse to page 4 in the browser, or page 8 according to the actual printed page.

A small black-and-white television cost more in numerical dollars in 1964 than it would today. Color televisions cost many hundreds of dollars. Yet despite wages that were far less in numerical terms, people bought them.

The key difference is that, unlike today, they weren’t designed to be throwaways. You could make it last almost indefinitely, getting it repaired as needed at the service shop down the street. They were worth the investment.

There is a lot to be said about rampant consumerism, and not much of it is good. One of the few goods things to come out of it is, ironically, the ability to link to stored images of an old newspaper from 1964.

Another benefit was that all you had to do to watch it was plug it in. Now we pay for the privilege of receiving 2 to 3 hundred channels of which maybe 10 are worth watching. I’m tired of “welfare for unwanted networks”. :-)

• Profile picture of ApolloDawn ApolloDawn said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Yes; that’s back when pay TV was the joke of Saturday morning cartoons.

Part of the original allure of pay TV was freedom from commercials. Today, we get hit up for money and get hit with more commercials than ever before. Food Network is up to running a record four minute slew of commercials during some of its breaks.

Corporate America, super-psych marketing techniques, and big media drive the country wherever they want to go. More power to them (at least, so says Congress. Me, not so much).

• Profile picture of think4yourself think4yourself said 1 year, 9 months ago:

I just wait until a week before Christmas and get a bunch of gift cards. Then everyone can get EXACTLY what they want and usually at a deep cut sales price. My family members are in the check out line when everybody else is in the returns line that is wrapped around the building. Problem solved.

“Today, we get hit up for money and get hit with more commercials than ever before. ”

Incrementalism. Can you say slippery slope? ;-)