Another unfunded war (16 posts)

|
  • Profile picture of John  Bravo John Bravo said 1 year, 10 months ago:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/12/09/277127/3000-us-troops-secretly-return-to-iraq/

This to go along with unfunded healthcare, unfunded stimulus, unfunded tax cuts for the 99%. Nothing could go wrong here…..

• Profile picture of catpaw catpaw said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Gotta disagree with the article on a couple of points that lack qualification. (Part of the “alternative” reporting?)
    The prospect of weapons of mass destruction was not based on a “pretext.” The pretext was Saddam’s, which he could have disspelled by allowing inspections. He didn’t.
    Estimates of the war in Iraq put Iraqi deaths at around 130,000; not quite 1 million. In any case, the bulk of those victims were not killed by American actions. Other moslems killed them, both before and after the invasion.

• Profile picture of Lamonster Lamonster said 1 year, 10 months ago:

catpaw, I’m glad to see that your self-described old-age memory loss is much exaggerated. A lot of people don’t like to remember that Saddam himself painted the illusion (or truth) that he was stockpiling WMD’s.

I’ve also heard that we are sending missiles and some troops to Turkey to help them defend(?) against Syria. Gee, I wonder where all this is headed?

I have a feeling that the turmoil of Arab Spring’s, revolutions, emerging social changes, etc. are far from over. The aftermath remains to seen, perhaps for a decade.
    Not sure how paranoid Turkey is of Syria, or if they really need missiles to protect their border from incursions. They don’t like the Kurds, no mistake about that.
    I’m personally not against helping moslems achieve self determination independent of dictatorships. I think it should be done slowly, with careful consideration. It can become a mess nobody wants to get entangled in. NATO, the UN, the Arab League, and of late, Russia, are keeping their distance from that chaos. Wouldn’t be surpried if Iran is reconsidering getting involved. There are rumors that the CIA is helping to arm Syrian rebels—they ain’t talking.

I’m also for everyone achieving self determination, but they have to want it for themselves before we or anyone else can help. So far we’ve helped Egypt move from one dictator (somewhat friendly to us) to another (definitely not friendly to us) and we’ve helped overthrow Gaddafi in Libya which is in chaos. We should ask ourselves if it is really in our interest to help turn Syria over to the Muslim Brotherhood. So far we’ve had as much success as we’ve had bailing out solar companies.

• Profile picture of Groucho Groucho said 1 year, 10 months ago:

You talk as if we are somehow orchestrating all of these overthrows of existing regimes. True, we have sided with the people that were advocating change, but what was the alternative? Go in and prop up a corrupt government? Change is painful and will continue to be, we have to learn to adapt to it.

No, not orchestrating, but we have, as you say, helped facilitate the changes. Maybe we have righteous motives, thinking we are helping to free these people, but so far I don’t think we are seeing those results. Yes, change is painful, especially if the change is from bad to worse.

Just for the sake of argument, if it is determined that, as some contend, the Benghazi debacle was an unintended consequence of our supplying arms to the rebels then I’ll reconsider whether we are helping to orchestrate regime change.

I get the impression that our “help” is on the assumption that everybody else in the world wants to be like us. While our ideals may be admired, they are not as applicable to all societies.

I think you are right catpaw. Sometimes, despite our best intentions, all we seem to accomplish is exchanging one despot for another.

• Profile picture of milemarker milemarker said 1 year, 10 months ago:

unfunded tax cuts for the 99%

How do you “fund” or “unfund” a tax cut for 99% of the people? It’s an oxymoron, right? When you reduce someone’s taxes, you don’t have to come up with money to do it. It doesn’t cost anything. You just say:

“Okay, you were paying $100.00 each year in taxes. Next year, you only have to pay $75.00.”

How much did it cost to “fund” that tax cut?

Oh! You mean unfunded financial obligations that have no money coming in the bank to pay for them. So if you bought a couple of wars on credit, someone has to pay for them. But if you reduce taxes, like President Bush did, you can’t pay. Oh. Okay. Okay. I’m with you. Unfunded spending is now being called unfunded tax cuts for individuals. Repurposing the term.

• Profile picture of John  Bravo John Bravo said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Stimulus. Unfunded. Drone wars. Unfunded. Libyan war. Unfunded. Obamacare. Unfunded. Extending Bush tax cuts for the 99%. Unfunded.

• Profile picture of milemarker milemarker said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Extending Bush tax cuts for the 99%. Unfunded.

It just gets weirder and weirder. Come on, John. How do you “fund” a income tax cut? If you “fund” something, it means you are buying or paying for it. How do you “buy” an income tax reduction? How do you “pay for” an income tax reduction. Who do you buy it from? Who gets paid?

You forgot one, John. 2012 election, bought with promises of “I’ll take care of you”. Unfunded.

• Profile picture of Groucho Groucho said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Et tu, Lamont? That is the official line of the losing GOP, surely you can do better. Are you that dismissive of a majority of your fellow citizens?

• Profile picture of Deleted User said 1 year, 10 months ago:

.9% is not much of a majority. Are you dismissive of the other 49.1% of your fellow citizens ? Sounds like it to me.