Another Parasite kills its Hostess (50 posts)

|
  • Profile picture of John  Bravo John Bravo said 1 year, 9 months ago:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-international/NATL-Twinkies-Maker-Hostess-Going-Out-of-Business-179643161.html

Hostess going out of business. Well played Unions, well played. Now the government will pay you to do absolutely nothing!!

• Profile picture of catpaw catpaw said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Of course the CEO is going to blame unions. Unless you really think he’s going to say, “We made some wrong management decisions, gang. And I really, really need that 10-digit bonus.”
    Another source says Hostess has a buyer lined up; which says the company was going down the drain, anyway.
    Unions had already made concessions. They were being asked to make more. What the article does not say is what concessions were management making.
    (sigh) Another cut and paste that doesn’t cover all angles of the story.

• Profile picture of limalimamike limalimamike said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Nowhere in that article, by NBC, govt sponsored media, how LOVES to loath businesspeople, does it say anything about a bonus.

Greedy union members

However, the US will be better off, health-wise, with this

Hostess will be picked up by another company and keep the brand name. All that stock and inventory will not sit idle for long.
    The hard line decision by management without any attempt to negotiate merely indicates Hostess was for sale anyway.

• Profile picture of limalimamike limalimamike said 1 year, 9 months ago:

This situation is a parallel to the story of the goose that laid the golden egg.

The workers had a job, during a deep recession to boot, but got greedy. Like playing blackjack, you keep doubling down, you WILL get burned.

They were given enough rope to effectively hang themselves

• Profile picture of ApolloDawn ApolloDawn said 1 year, 9 months ago:

“Greedy union members”

Hee hee

“Like playing blackjack, you keep doubling down, you WILL get burned. They were given enough rope to effectively hang themselves”

Election 2012.

Nope. America voted to fundamentally change this country. Election 2012. Enjoy.

• Profile picture of H8cloz H8cloz said 1 year, 9 months ago:

It’s all good. Twinkies, Ho Ho’s and Ding Dong’s will be reborn! Other companies are swooping in to buy up those rights, and they’ll re invent them, re package them and we will live in a world with endless twinkie options! We’ll have whole wheat twinkies, low fat twinkies, energy bar twinkies, healthy Ho Ho’s and new, sexy Ding Dong’s. Bimbo, Dolly Madison, Sunshine…one of them will suck the filling out of Hostess and those brand names shall rise again! You can’t keep a good ding dong down.

• Profile picture of milemarker milemarker said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Two of my uncles drove delivery trucks for Wonder Bread for 30 years. It was a good, family-oriented company that enabled them to buy their own homes, meager dwellings though they were. So I do have some perspective on what the employees of Hostess earn and it ain’t nutin to write home about.

• Profile picture of H8cloz H8cloz said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Wonder Bread will be back too. Probably from Bimbo Bakeries. Or Kraft could buy up the whole company and keep all the brands alive. Most of those workers are finished though. I doubt the purchasers are going to re employ any of them. Especially the bakers. Those brand names will survive, no matter what. Funny thing is, most of the bakers said that they will earn more on unemployment than they would have under the terms of the pending agreement. Sad.

• Profile picture of ApolloDawn ApolloDawn said 1 year, 9 months ago:

I miss Franco-American. I know that many of its products still exist under Campbells, but Mrs. Nostalgic misses the old logo:

Well, time to pour my electric-percolated coffee :)

• Profile picture of drilnliftcrude drilnliftcrude said 1 year, 9 months ago:

“I want more money.”
    “Sorry, I’m bankrupt.”
    “I’ll go on strike.”
    “I’ll still be bankrupt.”
    [crickets]
    “But I want more money.”

The next time you see a picket line, toss them a twinkie.

Could ask them to forget about contracts already negotiated and work for less than a minimum wage. Sounds fair to me.

I miss the yummy XLT tamales that came individually wrapped. Do they still make Bimbo pies? I mean the ones a bachelor on a budget could afford?

It is a dying industry. With Moochelle regulating what kids can eat, and shoving vegetables and fruit down their thoats, the market has dried up.
    Let Freedom ring.